Davis & Gilbert LLP
Davis+Gilbert is a strategically focused, full-service mid-sized law firm of more than 130 lawyers. Founded over a century ago and located in New York City, the firm represents a wide array of clients – ranging from start-ups to some of the world’s largest public companies and financial institutions – throughout the United States and internationally. Davis+Gilbert is widely regarded as the #1 law firm for the marketing communications industry and has practices focusing on Advertising + Marketing; Benefits + Compensation; Corporate + Transactions; Entertainment + Sports; Insolvency + Finance; Intellectual Property + Media; Litigation + Dispute Resolution; Privacy + Data Security; Labor + Employment; Private Client Services; Real Estate and Tax. Davis+Gilbert is ranked in publications and legal directories such as Chambers USA, The Legal 500 United States, Media Law International and “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers®.
For decades, Davis+Gilbert has guided and advised individuals and businesses of every kind in their dealings in the sports industry. Sponsors and advertisers, athletes and entertainers, leagues, teams and unions, financers and investors, and vendors and suppliers all have relied on Davis+Gilbert as a trusted advisor. As the industry engages with fans in new and dynamic ways, no law firm is better positioned to guide clients through the evolving laws, business practices and regulatory scrutiny seeking to keep pace with these developments. Whether facing issues of technology, regulation or intellectual property, we help clients achieve their business objectives by anticipating, identifying and resolving challenges they face.
Our clients are at the center of the change that is revolutionizing the sports industry – from emerging sports and esports to fantasy sports and sports betting, from data and analytics to the technologies transforming equipment and fan engagement – which provides us with the unique ability to help our clients capitalize on new opportunities and create a competitive edge.
Our specific areas of experience include:
- Marketing and Sponsorship
- Media Rights and Entertainment
- Gaming, Fantasy Sports and Sports Betting
- Trademark and Licensing
- Data Protection, Analytics and Privacy
- League and Team Governance
- Corporate and Transactions
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Labor and Employment
- Benefits and Compensation
- Facilities and Real Estate
Highlighted representations include:
- Guiding minor league baseball teams in negotiations with Major League Baseball for the restructuring of the Professional Development League system
- Advising international sponsor on global sponsorship and naming rights partnership which spanned six teams, three venues and two continents
- Assisting professional league restructuring schedule, renegotiating venue and sponsor agreements due to COVID-19 shutdown
- Advising sports media companies on regulatory compliance programs for sports betting and fantasy sports
- Counseling professional players’ association on international brand development and intellectual property strategy